Dealing With Common Cold
The common cold is an infection caused by a virus known as Rhinovirus. There are other viruses that can cause cold such as coronavirus, respiratory syncytial virus, influenza and par influenza
Signs of cold:-
- runny nose
- sore throat
- watery eyes
- dry throat
- blocked nose
Causes of common cold:-
Common cold is an upper respiratory track infection that is caused by various viruses. It starts with a sore through, then the nose is blocked, followed by sneezing and runny nose.
- cold is contagious
- Cold can occur anytime during the year.
- Cold virus spreads through air, contaminated by the droplets of cough released by the person suffering from cold.
- Children get cold more frequently, they catch this illness from other children in school or touching the infected objects.
- Hand to hand contact can pass on the virus.
- Virus can enter your body through nose, eyes or mouth.
Prevention of cold
If you follow simple hygiene you can prevent cold:
- use hand wash or soap to wash your hand
- Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Drink plenty of water, juices, soaps, warm lemon water.
- Take enough rest, keep your room clean and dry.
- Disinfect your floor.
- There is no specific treatment for cold. Most colds subside within 3-4 days.
- Natural home remedies like steaming can treat cold effectively.
Treatment for common cold
There is no treatment for cold as such because it cures by itself, but is you feel restless or uncomfortable with the symptoms of cold then you can take over the counter medicines that cure cold .medicines such as aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, nose drops or sprays, throat lozenges, and decongestants can be used .
- take rest and stay indoor
- consume plenty of liquids
- take prescribed medicines on time
- When our body is attacked by cold or cough it’s a sign of warning to slow down and take rest. For example when you have cold your nose constantly releases watery substance, actually it is flushing out all the viruses from the nose. So you need not worry, it will subside within short period.
Natural remedies for common cold
- Gargle with warm water mixed with salt, also rinse your stuffed nose with warm water to destroy bacteria from the nose.
- Garlic is good for improving immunity, helps clear respiratory passage.
- Stay warm and rest your body, taking rest can ease your cold symptoms and also boost your immune syste
- Drink warm liquids- boiled water, electrolyte, warm drinks like tea, green tea, ginger tea, warm milk can give you soothing effect.
- Eat warm food- light foods, soups, vegetable broths are good for your immunity build up. Fruits rich in vitamin c are very good to fight cold and other infections.
- Steaming with droplets of eucalyptus oil can give you relief from headache and runny nose.
- Maintain hygiene, have a warm shower and keep yourself clean