What is Generic Fosamax?
Fosamax is the oral drug used to treat and protect your bones from bone diseases like – Paget and Osteoporosis (bone disease) in men and women. The generic name for Fosamax is Alendronate which belongs to a group of drugs known as bisphosphonates and it works by reducing bone loss and prevents bone fractures and helps maintain strong bones.
How to use Generic Fosamax?
- How to use Fosamax?
- Before using this medicine talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of Fosamax.
- To achieve the benefits from this drug follow your doctor’s instructions carefully so that it is absorbed in the body properly.
- Take this medicine orally by mouth before eating or drinking anything.
- After taking the drug drink enough water and do this while you sit or stand or walk but stay upright for minimum of 30 minutes.
- Alendronate works well if taken on an empty stomach and you must wait for at least half hour after taking this medicine and then eat your food.
- Avoid taking this drug before bedtime or else it may not be absorbed by your body and will not work effectively. Take this medicine only once a week and at the same time on the scheduled day of each week.
- If you are taking any supplements or vitamins or hot or cold beverages take it with a gap of 30 minutes after taking Alendronate.
Here are some of the side effects caused by taking Alendronate which includes:
- Stomach pain
- Swelling of joints
- Muscle pain
- Ear pain
These are some of the side effects that can occur after taking Fosamax, there may be other side effects which are not mentioned in the above mentioned list.
- Here are some precautions you need to follow while taking Fosamax and that includes:-
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to the inactive ingredients in the Alendronate.
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from esophagus disorders, kidney problems, low calcium levels and stomach problems.
- If you are pregnant or planning to have a child talk to your doctor before taking this drug.